purple fish guts

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Preemie Hats


We haven't posted in awhile, so I thought I would make up for it today. You'll see what I have been doing instead of blogging. Knitting! The posts below are the projects I have been working on, but my favorite has been hats for preemie babies in the NICU. Some friends of mine and I have been knitting patterns found mostly at Bev's Country Cottage. They knit up so fast, which is perfect for my short attention span. I got a pair of 12" Addi Turbo circular needles, sizes 3 and 8. They work perfect for the little hats, until the decrease rows when I switch to double pointed needles. We have a website here. Check it out. You knitters out there should feel free to donate. The moms and nurses are so grateful. You can't buy hats this small in the stores, and they are so cute!
My favorite is a modification of this jester's hat. I used Bernat's Softee Chunky yarn. To change the pattern from newborn size to preemie, I cast on 42 stitches, did a k1, p1 rib, and knit stockinette stitch until the piece measured 4.5 inches. The kitchener stitch was three sets of 14 stitches. It came out just the right size. (I know when the hats are the right size because they fit Z's baby doll Gracie perfectly.)