purple fish guts

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Pinwheel Blanket


Squeaky Weasel is a knitter extraordinaire. She makes fabulous projects which inspire me. When I saw her pinwheel blanket, I had to make one. I love knitting in the round, and it is such a pretty blanket. I had some pink Plymouth Dreambaby yarn lying around, and size 7 double pointed needles and circular needle that I used for the french market bag, so I started right away. Squeaky pointed me to the pattern here. The first few rows are a bugger, and after several tries (and a couple of tantrums) I got to a stable row and it was smooth sailing from there.

The pattern is a little vague, which bugs me. I am not creative -- just tell me what to do! When the blanket has reached the desired diameter, cast/bind off. Now your blanket is complete, unless you want to embellish it with an edging. What is a good "desired diameter"? I researched it, and found a reference that said baby blankets are usually 28" to 36". I made mine 36" which was about 500 stitches on the last row. What is a good edging? I found a bunch of cool pictures from a pinwheel blanket knitalong, and decided to copy Adrian's seed stitch edging. My friend's baby is due June 17th. I hope she likes snuggling with her new blankie!