purple fish guts

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Comics

Every morning I am greeted with and email containing some of my favorite comics: BC, Big Nate, Dilbert, Off The Mark, Pearls Before Swine, and Rose is Rose. It would be an even better list if it had Foxtrot and Baby Blues, but they weren't options when I signed up.

The problem is that sometimes Z demands that I read them to her. Then she wants me to explain why they are funny. Comics lose a lot in the translation to a 6-year-old. Some I'm not even willing to try. Here is BC's comic today. A message is thrown in the ocean with the text, "Over here--this time of year--we gather together to give thanks to God and to partake of our bountiful harvest". The next day a reply is received from the ocean reading, "Dude! Us, too! As a matter of fact, we're smoking ours right now!" I'm not even going to try to explain that one.