purple fish guts

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Longboard pics

Following my friend's lead..... I decided to take one of my old snowboards and cut it up to make it into a longboard. I decided to go with the Sims because it's the most structurally sound of the old ones. Not to mention it's good and long...... so I'll have plenty of room to work with. I looked through pictures of longboards on the internet and sorta came up with a shape I like.

Here it is ready to cut with the shape mapped out on masking tape.
















After cutting.
















After sanding it smooth and pulling of all the old stickers and gunk..... oh.... and drilling the holes for the trucks.
















Add grip tape......
















and trucks and wheels......
















and you're ready to go. Right???

Not quite!

Hmmm...... seems a bit too flexy.
















Here's my solution..... at least for now. I cut a piece of plywood to run under the trucks to stiffen it up a bit. The flex is just about right..... but I don't really like the rough slab of plywood solution. I'm not sure what I'll do, but I don't think it'll stay like this for very long.
















It's a lot of fun to ride. My friend and I have been going out in search of hills the past 2 nights. I still have a few issues to work out with the way it turns....... but I'm pretty sure it's nothing a bit of tweaking can't handle.