purple fish guts

Sunday, April 03, 2005

RIP

As a Protestant I don't get all of the Catholic theology. However, I have always had a lot of respect for Pope John Paul II. The more he was criticized as "out of touch" the more I admired him. I strongly feel that truth is truth regardless of the passing fads of culture, and the Pope stood for the truth as he saw it even if it was unpopular.

That is not to say our view of what truth is shouldn't change. We should constantly be comparing our values and beliefs to what the Bible says and change where we are not in line with the Bible. I like to think that had I been raised before the Civil Rights Movement I would have questioned the racist "truths" of the time.

However, those criticizing the Pope were not like kids who want their parents to change the rules because the rules are wrong. They were more like kids who want the rules changed because they want to break them. Who cares what is right? Who cares how my rule breaking will affect me or society? Who cares what God thinks the rules should be? I may disagree with what the Pope thinks is truth. I don't, however, disagree that there is truth and that we should be seeking it and aligning our lives accordingly.

May he rest in peace and hear the words "well done my good and faithful servant".