purple fish guts

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Happy Easter!

Easter is my favorite holiday. As a kid I loved the choir processional (I was always in one of the choirs) to Jesus Christ is Risen Today. I loved singing Alleluia again. I loved the new dress, hat, purse and shoes. Today I love to just read the end of each gospel and contemplate what it must have been like, and what that sacrifice really meant. I still can't bring myself to see Mel's Passion of the Christ. First, because I don't like watching violence of any kind. I know it will be too hard for me to take. Second, because I don't want Mel to replace my imagination's interpretation of what happened. I imagine myself at the foot of the cross and making eye contact with Jesus. I can tell from the look in his eyes behind a battered face that he is choosing to stay up there and suffer so I won't have to suffer a worse fate in eternity. That may not be what really happened, but I'm keeping the image, because in a way, it really did.