purple fish guts

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

HOMEWORK !?!

This is the assignment that came home with Z from first grade last week:

Dear Parents,
We have just completed the book When I Was Young in the Mountains by Cynthia Rylant. The students each drew a picture and wrote about something that happened to them or something that they remembered from their "younger days".

We would like to have our parents join us in this project. I am sending home an extra sheet for mom and dad to fill out. You will need to write a little story at the bottom and then draw and color a picture to go with it. (We will get to see who our true artists are!) Don't worry about how neat the drawings are, I still draw stick people and the kids think it is wonderful!!

Please send the completed sheets back by Nov 13th (Tues.) We will share these in class and then make the stories into a class book to share.
Thank you for your help and cooperation in this project.

My first idea was a picture of a school with the story, "When I was young... I liked to go to school". (I was always a brown-noser.) My main motive was that I was just going to draw a school. Buildings are much easier to draw than people. After giving it more thought, this is what I came up with. It chokes me up.

Blue's first idea was a picture of a kid at a table doing homework and a dad in a recliner with a remote with the story, "When I was young... parents didn't have to do homework. Kids did." Here is his second (and probably better) idea:


It is obvious who the artist in the family is. I hope the girls will take after him in that regard.