purple fish guts

Monday, August 01, 2005

Chicago!

Kris and I got to Chicago around 8:00 last night. I was worried that it was getting pretty late since we didn't have a reservation. It turned out to be perfect timing. We were one of the first there for the show and got a table up front. We had time to eat and chat before the band started shortly after nine. I had a blue plate special which had a cup of jumbalaya, a cup of red beans, a cup of gumbo, and a cup of etoufee. They were all very, very good -- especially the eutoufee.

The band was awesome. Carlos Johnson was playing. The music was great, and Carlos has a sense of humor that reminds me of Buddy Guy. I like when artists don't take themselves too seriously, and he definitely didn't. The rest of the band was great too. The bassist (who was very good and had a beautiful bass guitar) reminded me of Bill Cosby (only younger and cuter.) He constantly had these exaggerated, comical facial expressions that cracked me up. The keyboard player was also amazing. He was grinning the whole time, and it was obvious that he loved every minute of the show. The drummer was also great. I have an appreciation of good drumming, because I have tried it and I don't have the coordination to work two hands and two feet at the same time with different rhythms. I dabble at playing the congas, but only playing with two hands is much more manageable, and I am not very good.

Today we will be going to the Art Institute. I read that there is a Toulouse-Lautrec exhibit. It should be very cool.